Monday, December 7, 2009

Late night UTM bus idea on programming

Hey Shapton,

So Geoff and I were talking on the awesome 2000 km/h bus ride home, and we thought...

What if you and I just did a special topics course on game-programming theory, and use Javascript as our course language? If we're set on using Unity3D as the platform, then most of the stuff in the New Media course seems irrelevant to what we're doing. Might as well focus on what we need to do, rather than extract programming principles from HTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL/Actionscript...

On the other hand, we're going to have to go through learning game-programming and Javascript alone though. I'm not sure how complicated and vast game-programming can be, and whether or not we could entice Michael to be our Javascript tutor.

Thoughts...? Chinese Vampires...?

2 comments:

  1. This idea has merits. Chinese vampires not withstanding?
    I also liked the idea of learning web design and flash stuff though.. (a foundation so that I could learn more on my own in the next few years..)

    Do you think our game will have any actionscript components? Or be hosted online? If so, then I could take advanced media and handle that end of it.. and you could specialize more in unity?

    I have a destructive compulsion to get a hand in every pot of honey.. to make a delicious metaphor out of learning..

    mycetoma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll sleep on it!


    (but I just had another cup of coffee. d'oh)

    ReplyDelete